I suggest you ...

Show chord extensions

I would like to see sevenths, ninths, augmented and diminished chords, not just the root and the quality of the chord (major / minor).

603 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dear chord extensions supporters, we agree that this would be a great improvement to chordify. However, the more specific the chords become, the higher the error-rate of the automatic transcription might be. Nevertheless, we believe we can give you some addition chord extensions in the near future and in the meantime we are working to implement the ability to insert them manually using our new chord edits feature.
    --
    This feature is scheduled to be released within the next 2 weeks–we’re still dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s, hang in there a little longer, guys!

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sarnico Liverani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the most important thing and most urgent is to give users the possibility to insert 7, min7, maj7, dim. Then it would be nice to have the 4sus, or 9, etc...
        The idea of the software is amazing, but as of now, you cannot yourself edit a basic blues (c7 - f7 - c7 - etc...). This is the very basic of rock music...

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

None of the sus4 chords are noted on this song, and the the two B`s, is really B minors.

• Patrick Beard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward to being able to annotate/edit with more specific chords. I often need to annotate power chords as with the notation A5, etc.

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least give us the ability to manually edit in chord extensions. Then later you can give us the option filter for extensions automatically or not depending on your error-rates for the particular song. hopefully you could reproduce the chord also.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, adding diminished, augmented, suspended 4, add 2, sevenths, and alternate bass would be great. You don't need to have chordify figure out anything more than the basic chords like you do, just let users edit them. I think it would be very complicated to have more complicated chords automatically show up.

• Lucas Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I say you should at least support them for display purposes so we can edit after the analysis and change a B to a B7 or whatever -- and use those manual edits improve the software. That data plus some crafty eq or hi/lo pass filters and multi-pass analysis (falling back to the current algorithm) should reduce the error rate quite a bit, no?

• Joe Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be happy with simply having the ability to insert them manually, but they aren't available from the pop-up menu. Would be very grateful if you could add them please!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can`t set people limits, some are not that focus others are so like Melvin Gaye song Lets Get It On.

• mo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The app currently extracts chords and plays them along side the music in real time, which is great. If you could also extract or search for the lyrics and play them along as well, it would be super great! Teaming up with dragon dictation or Voicenote could be a cool collaboration

The chord extensions would be of limited use. Most players only want the simplest methods to be able to strum out a song. For advanced players errors wouldn't be an issue. they can probably deal with them on their own. Programs like this have their best use as guidelines and not as absolutes.

I agree. I just found Chordify. Two of the first three songs i entered were not even close. (try Boyz 2 Men Motown Philly). Great idea but it seems you've got a long way to go before i would pay for it.

Right. Nice idea, but it will only work for some simple songs. Apart from the missing 7th, sus etc chords many chords are plain wrong. I'll check again in a year or so to see if it improved; I wish you luck with the project.

• Dick Dastardly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found Chordify to simply not to live up to expectations. Even after more than a year of being online and in spite of numerous suggestions from users, they have failed to come up with any improvements whatsoever to the accuracy with which even very basic chords are recognised by their 'cutting edge' software. Chord transcriptions generally are >50% inaccurate. I find it incredible that they haven't been able to improve the software to such a degree that it is able to detect even a simple dominant7 or sus4 chord. If this is 'state-of-the-art music technology' then music technology is in a terrible state and certainly hasn't improved since guitarists have learned to play a simple E minor chord.

Feedback and Knowledge Base